DiversityI belong to the Diversity Committee of the Department of Mathematics and I help and support the Diversity Committee of the College of Science.
First gender-equal Geometry, Algebra, Singularities, Combinatorics (GASC) seminar. During Spring semester 2018, there was the first semester with equal gender speakers and, what a list of speakers!!! Emre Sen (Northeastern), Haydee Lindo (Williams College) David Cox (Amherst), Mats Boij (KTH), Justin Sawon (University of North Carolina) Sara Faridi (Dalhousie), Stephanie Van Willigenburg (UBC), Ruth Kellerhals (Fribourg).
I do agree with the diversity axioms of Federico Ardila:
Axiom 1. Mathematical talent is distributed equally among different groups, irrespective of geographic, demographic, and economic boundaries.
Axiom 2. Everyone can have joyful, meaningful, and em- powering mathematical experiences.
Axiom 3. Mathematics is a powerful, malleable tool that can be shaped and used differently by various communi- ties to serve their needs.
Axiom 4. Every student deserves to be treated with dignity and respect.
Information about research and development
- From April to September 2018, I have organized the Independent Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU), funded by NSF.
- I have organized the Summer School (May 31, 2017) at ET'nA 2017 -Encounter in Topology 'n Algebra.
The talks of the school were streamed one line (and they are still available): Resonance varieties, by Graham Denham and Alex Suciu and Polytopes, Dual Graphs, and Line Arrangements, by Bruno Benedetti and Matteo Varbaro.
- I organized the Networking Day (June 4, 2017) for young mathematicians at ET'nA 2017 -Encounter in Topology 'n Algebra.
- I organize the Math Club at Northeastern University. The Math Club is a place where students interested in mathematics can get together and further explore mathematics outside of a classroom setting. We have weekly meetings which consist of a mix of both open discussions and talks given by professors, graduate students, and also some undergraduates.
- I suggest and support graduate student to the Data Incubator, an intensive 8 week fellowship that prepares masters students, PhDs, and postdocs in STEM and social science fields to seek industry careers as data scientists. The program is free for fellows and supported by sponsorships from hundreds of employers across multiple industries.
Interaction with the scientific community
- During the academic year 2012-2013, I have co-organized the problem solving Mathematical Competition KAPPA 2013. This is a Mathematical competition for high school teacher of Mathematics or any other scientific subject.
- From September 2012, I participate to the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA) project for mathematics.
SIDA, the National University of Rwanda (NUR) and Stockholm University offer to supervise selected students at NUR for a Master thesis in Mathematics.
Under this project, I have supervised three students from Rwanda: Jean Harerimana (2016), \item Manishimwe Alexis (2013) and Janvier Ndahimana Rukundo (2013).
- Since 2015, I am a scientific tutor for students at the Catania Institute of Advanced Study (SSC).
- Since September 2016, I belong to the diversity committee of the Department of Mathematics of Northeastern University.
- Since September 2016, I actively participate to the diversity committee of the College of Science of Northeastern University.
- In November 2016, I was appointed as a scientific expert for the best Diploma Thesis in the Catania Institute of Advanced Study (SSC).
List of divulagative talksThank to the Math Club organization, I have been active in divulgation of mathematics.
- Apr 12, 2018, Independence day: Matroids - Math Club talk of Northeastern University , Boston, MA.
- Nov 2, 2017, Groups - Math Club talk of Northeastern University , Boston, MA.
- Oct 19, 2017, Semigroups - Math Club talk of Northeastern University , Boston, MA.
- Oct 5, 2017, Determinant - Math Club talk of Northeastern University , Boston, MA.
- Sept 21, 2017, Counting lattice points - Math Club talk of Northeastern University , Boston, MA.
- Sept 7, 2017, The coin problem - Math Club talk of Northeastern University , Boston, MA.
- April 11, 2017, La bellezza delle carte - Italian Club of Northeastern University, Boston, MA;
- March 1, 2017, Counting lines in the affine plane over finite fields - Graduate Student Seminar of NU, Boston, MA;
- March 2, 2017, The Game SET - Math Club talk of Northeastern University , Boston, MA.